Saturday, June 28, 2014

Soft and cuddly, for me and the fur monsters


I love the feel of Lion Brand Homespun yarn. My dogs love Homespun yarn... more specifically when I'm crocheting with Homespun yarn. The first non-granny square afghan I made was with Homespun. I'm not sure that was one of the smarter choices, now that I look back on how I struggled with the yarn. But I love the afghan. In fact, I made two. Simple afghans of just row upon row of single crochets.




Even though I don't have the afghan out this time of year, the minute either of the fur monsters can get near it they want to cuddle into the soft fibers. I really can't blame them. Homespun entices you to curl up on the couch with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate with no mind of what's going on outside.

Homespun can have a mind of its own. It's a bulky weight yarn but woven with the strand is a thread that gives it another hint of variegation. That strand is heavier than sewing thread, but it can unravel. I've learned to tie knots at each cut end of yarn to prevent this. In addition, I wonder how well the ends will stay tucked in because of how soft the yarn is.

All in all, I still love the yarn. I generally don't recommend beginning crocheters use the yarn until they are comfortable with basic stitches and have their tension evened out a bit. Tight stitches with Homespun yarn would likely cause frustration because of the yarn's tendency to unravel/fray.

This doesn't stop me from using the yarn, though. I made a throw for my mother using two strands with Red Heart's Holiday Stripes Throw (LW1882). All the while, the fur monsters curled up on my lap to 'help' me make this gift for her.

When I finished, I decided I needed to make one for myself.



All that's left to do is tuck ends and finish the border. Why don't I learn and tuck ends as I go? Life would be grand, I would be less stressed and much happier, and the afghan would be DONE by now! Ahh, but we don't learn, do we. But I am close, really close, to being done. It's on the table, instead of a bag. So maybe even work on it tonight.

Happy on the Hook!
Gwenhywfar

No comments:

Post a Comment