Friday, September 5, 2014

Blankets for Barracks Soldiers

My yarn group, which now has a name - the Ritzy Hookers Yarn Group, has decided to take on a project I found on Facebook in the Mood Blanket group I belong to. It's Blankets for Barracks Troops. Megan Palmer is asking for 6" or 12" squares to make afghans to fit the beds of troops who are returning to their barracks after a deployment. When it gets closer to time for the troops to come home the FRG (family readiness group) set up the rooms to welcome them home.

Megan wants to have a blanket for every barracks soldier coming home - something warm, inviting and homemade to show them appreciation and to show them there are people happy to have them home.

The afghans need to be 48"x72" and Megan is accepting squares, blankets, supplies, etc. Anyone can join the group on Facebook, where her contact information is located. You can also leave a message for me if you want to take part in the project but don't have a Facebook account and I can pass on the information.

Last week after I learned about this project, I walked into an indoor yard sale and found some yarn. Of course, I looked through it to see if there was anything I was interested in. There wasn't, but instead a small baggie of what looked like yo-yos caught my attention. I took them home and after close inspection of others in the yarn group I discovered they weren't yo-yos.



They are the centers to granny squares! What perfect timing for a project that calls for 6" squares. I have a good start for a bunch of very colorful squares to send to Fort Hood, Texas. And they can be used for men's or women's afghans, both of which are stationed at the fort.

Our yarn group is putting something in the local newspaper with a challenge/open invitation to the community to participate in the project. The finished items will be collected at the local chamber office. We will then host a yarn day the end of October where we will assemble and crochet as needed.

I invite everyone to join in this great project! It's a great stash buster, and what a wonderful way to give back to those who are serving our country! I don't know about you, but when I read about this project, it warmed my heart and I knew I wanted to take part. I will post our progress here, and if I hear of any others taking part I'll include them as well.

Until the next yarn adventure...

Happy on the Hook!
Gwenhywfar

No comments:

Post a Comment