Thursday, July 10, 2014

The challenging challenges of a challenge

I haven't been able to work on the Stitch-cation Summer Challenge as much as I want to, but I've made two blocks so far - the popcorn stitch block:



which I love the texture and feel of. And, the popcorns are kind of fun to make once you get the hang of them.

The second block is a granny square, but it's not like any granny I've ever made!


It's not made in the round. You turn the work after each row like an afghan, giving the block a different appearance. It's a Red Heart pattern (LW4132-11), and I really like it.

I thought I was going great guns, excited to move onto the next block... Until my mother, who is doing the same challenge but has more time, discovered a couple of things. First of all, the border should be done in the same color on all the blocks. Second, the blocks need to be the same size...


Notice a size problem? My mother has found that a few of the blocks require adjusting by changing hook sizes up or down. For the popcorn block, it's two sizes down. So, I will remake the block with a smaller hook and put the right border on!

Another project in the crochet basket is my temperature blanket. I found a pattern at Moogly called Riley Flower Square Motif. Once again, I'm using I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby. I made up two squares to see how it worked up with the join-as-you-go-method I use, and to be honest I think I have to do some tweaking. I don't like the corners and it seems to be a bit 'scrunched,' as if it doesn't have enough yarn to go around the flower.


And, for clarification, my year is July-June :). The inside color is the low temperature and the outside is the high. I'm collecting my data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) National Weather Service website. It's been fun to watch the temperatures through the winter and slowly get warmer into summer. I've definitely enjoyed this part of the project.

More WIPs to keep me busy. But, that keeps me interested and motivated I guess!

Happy on the Hook!
Gwenhywfar

No comments:

Post a Comment